Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Blurb

Have you ever read a book where the description gives away the moment that the author builds up to for half the book? All of the author's careful work now seems boring, because the reader knows what's coming. In my first draft, half of my book is about my main character trying to get in to a certain school. But if the reader already knows that she makes it, it's no longer interesting.

My main character also learns certain surprising things about 3/4 of the way into the story, at least I hope they are a surprise, but I keep thinking about the blurb. If it's not going to be a surprise, I'd rather move the information sooner so my readers aren't bored.

What I want to write about is how my main character finds herself. I want to explore the bonds that she forms and breaks and if she succeeds at belonging. Perhaps something like that could be in my blurb.

Thinking back on my last post about genre, maybe I will aim for science fiction after all.







No comments:

Post a Comment